Arrived home this afternoon, Friday 9th January, from Townsville after attending my Uncle Barry's funeral yesterday.The drive down was good, and we arrived at Bev and Win's with plenty of time before we had to go into the city to the chapel.
I walked in and saw his casket on the trolley and couldn't believe that his body was inside, as it just didn't look big enough.He was always so tall and muscular( as he loved all sorts of outdoor activites).They showed many photos of his life, with some of him and my dad when they were youngerand lived in Victoria.It was hard even to see photos of my Dad, as he has been dead for 28 years now.My only comfort is that they will now be together again.
Aunty Marg looked quite good, I guess she has had a long time to get used to the fact that her soulmate will one day be gone.It just happened sooner than we all thought, which really is a blessing for both Uncle Barry( he won't be in pain anymore), and for Aunty Marg and her DD's Susie, Jackie and Evie.
The minute I saw the girls it brought back so many memories of times spent together as a child and early teenager.Evie and I especially( being the same age) used to be so close, but hadn't seen each other for about 20 years.Lots of things have since happened in our lives, but it was great to see her yesterday.I even got a photo of both of us.
I sit here typing this with tears streaming down my face , because it has finally hit me, after finding a beautiful photo of him at my wedding 15 years ago.....that I won't be able to sit and talk with him anymore, chat about life and my Dad etc..... He was such a huge part of my life, especially after my Dad died when I was 7.He was always there for us all, Aunty Marg as well.I will always have a special part in my heart for him.
I also sit here, berating myself and feeling guilty that I didn't go to see him over the past 18 months.At the time , I thought I was doing the right thing, as I wanted to remember him the way he used to be and not the shell of a man he became.I wish now that I had, so that I could hold his hand and talk about when he and my Dad were younger.He may not have really remembered , but it would have helped me I think.Dementia is such a cruel, humiliating disease, not only for the sufferer but the family that have to sit and watch their loved ones slowly become weaker and weaker.That they don't remember them and their personalities become a total opposite of what they used to be.
Uncle Barry was an Engineer, and was head of the Townsville City Council for years.He loved his job, and his family even more.He loved the outdoors, whether it be camping, hiking, fishing, skiing , boating, amongst many other pursuits.They travelled extensively around the Northern part of QLD as well as many other parts of Australia and the world.I am so pleased that he was able to retire early, and be able to spend that time with Aunty Marg doing the things they loved together.
He and Aunty Marg would have been married 45 years in May, and he was 66 years old.
I love you Uncle Barry very very much and you will be missed terribly.
I leave you now after such a big, emotional couple of days .Cherish every moment with your family and good friends.I know I will be.




Huge hugs Mel.
ReplyDeleteYour love for your Uncle Barry shines through in your words so beautifully.
He sounds like he was a really wonderful man.
My deepest sympathies on your loss hun.
The ONLY good thing about Dementia is they don't remember what they've forgotten. We went through the same agonizing trauma with my Nan. Clearly your Uncle Barry meant as much to you as she did to me. Don't think about the times you've missed, just remember the wonderful memories you do have Mel.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure he's looking down on you right now understanding completely. You've had such an eventful year yourself. I'm thinking of you right now..... All our love!
Tears in my eyes for you Mel. Hugs Gorgeous Girl.
ReplyDeleteBig hugs mel
ReplyDeleteAwww, Mel, big hugs from me too! Sounds like an emotional few days for you. Take care.
ReplyDeleteHey darlin Mel
ReplyDeleteHe sounds like a really beautiful uncle
Keep all those memories stored forever girl and know that although he may not be here with you to see he will always be close to your heart
Its such a hard thing to get through but know you have lots of friends here with you
Big hugs to you lovie!
I am so sorry for your loss Mel. I know how hard it is to lose someone you love and are so close to.
ReplyDeleteTry to remember the good times whenever you think of your Uncle. With time the pain will become less. Hugs to you and your family
Oh, Mel, this is such a beautiful tribute to your uncle! Brought tears to my eyes. He sounds like such a beautiful person. Huge hugs for you! Glad you're back safe and sound!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHugs Mel...I can understand that you wanted to remember him as he was, hold tight to those good memories. xx (I reposted as my first time gave my name as Ceecee)
ReplyDeletehang on to all the memories that are precious mel, my thoughts are with you
ReplyDelete