Sunday, November 8, 2009

What a weekend

On Saturday 7th November, I joined some lovely people that I work with in the Relay for Life to raise money for the Cancer Council.Our community managed to raise $166,000-00 which will be going towards building a cancer treatment place in Cairns.This will be greatly appreciated as we are having to travel a long way to get treatment at the moment.
The weather ended up being fairly nice, overcast but no rain...nice and cool.There were 80 teams signed up for this event, and I would say it will now be a regular yearly one.I know I certainly will be back again next year.
I walked for about 3 and half to 4 hours over the course of time, which I am paying for with very sore legs and hips.
There were a lot of survivors there which was so lovely to see and to see them all walking so proudly around the walking track.

This man we named the little Leprechaun,he was amazing.I think he pretty much walked the whole time.He would always be smiling, and every time he walked past he had a can of V or Red Bull in his hand.I guess this is what helped him keep going the whole 18 hours.


The candle ceremony was beautiful and very moving, especially for me as I was walking for my Daddy who died of Bowel cancer back in 1981.The outside of the track was aglow with white bags,covered with messages of love, tributes to our loved ones taken so tragically.It was amazing to walk around reading some and seeing photos.



What really brought tears to my eyes though, was this table, set with only one chair , one place setting.
This is Paul and I on Saturday Afternoon.We work together .
This was on Sunday morning.Unfortunately the rain set in about 4 am in the morning, while Kylie and I were doing our 1 hour walk.And it was here to stay, so after trying to quickly pull down this tent, the boys decided to carry it around the walking track in our last 30 minutes of RELAY FOR LIFE.It was a huge hit and everyone was saying, why didn't we think of that...heheSo a great time was had by all, and we will be back next year bigger and better.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fantastic time, Mel! Way to go for raising so much money too, and I'm sure you'll get the centre in Cairns in no time!!

    That table setting put me in tears too.

    PS Love the little Leprechaun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for you, and for your team and the organisers!! Looks like a fabulous even and a memorable time for all of you. Congratulations on the fundraising too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job girl! Well done. And what a great idea about the tent!!!! Great pics. I too am struck by the table with the single chair. It sends a very powerful message.

    Congrats on the fundraising. I am very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh well done Mel...you rock! I am so proud of you doing this and congrats on raising so much. The table and chair is very moving indeed. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. good on u mel, well done!! i loved looking at ur happy snaps

    ReplyDelete